Homeowners Insurance: Who is covered?

Your homeowners insurance covers your house, contents and personal liability, but who is protected? Below are the most common provisions, though your policy may differ.

House – Anyone named as an insured is protected, but only if they are also listed on the deed. This is why it is important to notify your agent of any change in ownership or title. Of course, your mortgagee is also protected (be sure to delete your mortgagee when the loan is paid off to avoid complications with any claims.)

Contents – Homeowners and renters policies cover the personal belongings of the named insured and any relatives who live in the house. This coverage often extends off-premises, even worldwide with some companies. But what about others in your house (like friends, domestic partners, or other unrelated guests)? You have the option of covering their contents in your house, but there is no coverage off-premises. Some companies allow you to add a domestic partner as a named insured.

Personal Liability – Only the named insureds and relatives who live in the house are protected. Domestic partners and other unrelated residents have no coverage unless they have been added as insureds.

Next Steps:

Albion Agencies, Inc. is a licensed insurance agent/broker only in the State of New York.

The information in this post is general in nature, and geared toward insurance conditions in Western New York. As always, you should speak with an insurance adviser to determine your specific insurance needs.

Comments are closed.

Privacy Policy | Information Security Policy | rochester seo